Western Carolina University has announced the lineup for its 2011 Summer Concert Series.
The concerts, sponsored by A.K. Hinds University Center, will be held on the University Center lawn at 7 p.m. on Thursdays in June and July. The events are free and open to the public.
A full schedule follows:
• June 2, Katharine Whalen and Chimney Choir. Whalen and her current band, The Fascinators, combine jazz with modern electronic effects and percolating rhythms. Also, musicians of the Colorado-based band Chimney Choir, who play instruments including mandolin, harmonica, accordion, guitar, flute, piano and banjo, will combine vocal harmonies, epic arrangements and imaginative lyrics.
• June 9, The Back Pages. This Western North Carolina group performs rock, as well as classic and southern rock.
• June 16, Brandon Kirkley and the Firecrackers. With a vocalist and guitar and bass players from Charlotte and Raleigh, pop-savvy BKTF mixes catchy lyrics, melodies, guitar solos and rhythm to inspire fans to pump their fists and sing along.
• June 23, Lionz of Zion. The Lionz of Zion fuse funk and reggae for a unique sound that gets people dancing. Appealing to music lovers of all ages and backgrounds, this Greenville, S.C.- based band’s fresh style includes bass riffs with groovy guitar, soulful vocals and roots-rock backbeat.
• June 30, Luke Webb. A singer-songwriter and guitarist from Sylva, Webb, formerly of the folk rock group Shiner Miners, recently formed The Imperative, which features an unusual brand of alternative folk.
• July 7, The Buchanan Boys. This Western North Carolina progressive country group blends high-energy country, ballads and three-part harmony.