A meeting of the newly-formed Nonprofit Thrift Store Alliance was held at CareNet on Wednesday, Jan. 19. The group of Macon County will meet once a month to discuss ways to work together to promote the thrift stores.
Events that are planned include a Best Window competition. Each store will decorate with a theme for the month. The theme for February will be Sweetheart Month. Each store will decorate and be judged by shoppers’ votes. The winning store will choose a name out of the ballot box, and the person chosen will win a gift certificate for that store. There are also plans for a bed race in April.
All donations are appreciated and proceeds that are given to the ten area thrift stores remain in the county to help residents of Macon County. The alliance has recently composed a brochure with the ten nonprofit stores here in Macon County. The ten nonprofit stores are:
• Humane Society Thrift Store, 1521 Old Murphy, Franklin, open Monday to Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; (828)369-3046.
• Seventh Day Adventist Community Services, 109 West Palmer St., Franklin; Monday to Thursday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; (828)369-9000.
• CareNet Thrift Store, 98 W. Palmer St., Franklin. New location weather permitting will be open February 1, 80 Westgate Dr, Franklin, Monday to Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., (828)349-9064.
• Habitat for Humanity Resale Store, 56 West Palmer St., Franklin, Monday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; (828)524-5273.
• REACH for Bargains, 158 Heritage Hollow Dr., Franklin, Monday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., (828)369-2040.
• Treasures within REACH, 111 Heritage Hollow, Franklin, Monday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., (828)524-3220.
• Historical Society Thrift Shop, 64 Stewart Street, Franklin, Monday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., (828)524-9758.
• Sharing Center Thrift Shop Inc., 232 N. E. Main St., Franklin, Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., (828)524-7438.
• Friends of the Library, 121 Highlands Rd. Franklin, Monday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Angel Medical Center Auxiliary, 1060 Highlands Rd., Franklin, Monday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closed Wednesday. (828)349-1118.