Macon County Public Health is reminding the public to be aware of the risks associated with exposure to carbon monoxide and providing tips to help people take steps to avoid unsafe levels of this toxic gas. Carbon Monoxide (CO) incidents are more common during the winter months due to cold weather, power outages, and people using more gas from a variety of sources such as camp stoves, burning charcoal, wood, gas ranges, heating systems, poorly vented chimneys and other unvented heat sources.
"According to the NC Division of Public Health, more than 1,100 North Carolina residents visited the emergency department for unintentional, non-fire related carbon monoxide poisoning from 2010 to 2013. It is important to educate yourself and your family on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, which is preventable. Since carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas, carbon monoxide alarms should be installed near each sleeping area of the home.”