Duke Energy has received a new 30-year operating license for its Franklin Hydroelectric Project from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
FERC approved Duke Energy proposals for a canoe portage around the dam, a boating access area, wood duck nesting boxes, protecting an endangered plant, and a long-term sediment management plan.
The Town of Franklin built the hydro project in 1925 and sold it to Nantahala Power & Light in 1933. Duke acquired the facility when it purchased NP&L from Alcoa in 1988. About half of the reservoir is in Franklin on the Little Tennessee River.
The project includes a 174- acre reservoir, two water-powered turbines, and a dam 36 feet high and 463 feet long. The 4.6 mile long reservoir extends from slightly above the confluence of the Little Tennessee and Cullasaja Rivers to Franklin Dam at Porter’s Bend.
Generation is slightly more than 1 megawatt, or 1 percent of Duke hydro generation in southwestern North Carolina.