- published 3/27 (Larry) - unpublished ?

Click for Franklin, North Carolina Forecast

News General

A Franklin man accused of sex crimes against minors pled guilty to all charges last Thursday in Macon County Superior Court. David Wayne Ogden, 64, changed his plea from innocent to guilty earlier apparently due to the amount of evidence and victims stacked against him. “Yes ma’am, I’m guilty,” he said to Judge Sharon Barrett.

The courtroom was quiet, and Assistant District Attorneys Ashley Hornsby-Welch and District Attorney Jason Arnold seemed pensive as Barrett sentenced Ogden for his crimes against at least seven victims.

The defendant received an overall sentence of 34-45 years in prison for 35 charges including sexual exploitation of a minor, indecent liberties with a minor, delivering controlled substances to a child between the ages of 13-16 and other offenses. Should Ogden still be alive when his sentence is up, he would have to register as a sexual offender.

Read more...

Board members were eager to see the final numbers of the fall intersession after viewing a presentation highlighting the week, which took place from Oct. 10-14, at the October Board of Education meeting. “One of our goals is to get our students reading and math scores up, and we looked at the intersession as a way to do that,” said board member Stephanie McCall.

The intersession was beneficial for the students who attended, but board members showed concerns about whether the week was cost effective due to low participation numbers. The intersession was available to all students and the school system encouraged parents to become involved, but only about 400 students attended the interession on any given day, which amounts to about 10 percent of the entire district’s student population.

Read more...

Macon County Commissioners voted to take seven constructions standards up for discussion when they reconvened last week for a continuation of October’s regularly scheduled meeting. Commissioners discussed altering construction standards, which encompassed the minimum allowed standards, with the intention of providing safe and adequate protection while serving to decrease liability to people involved in all areas of development, under consideration and further review.

According to Lewis Penland, Chairman of the planning board, the proposed construction standards were taken directly from the recommended Safe Slope Development Ordinance which was developed by the Safe Slope Development Workgroup. “The workgroup—made up of a grading contractor, a builder and developer, a planner, a geologist, a hydrologist, a realtor, and a planning board member—spent two years studying slope development issues and taking testimony from a variety of professionals in the building, construction and engineering fields,” said Penland.

Read more...

Officers with the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office recently arrested a man charged of numerous counts of statutory rape.

On Oct. 23, investigators with the department began investigating an incident of sexual assault that reportedly occurred in the Sapphire community of Jackson County on the same date.

According to statement released by JCSO in late October, private security firm, Blue Ridge Public Safety, was the initial agency to respond to the report, with Jackson investigators taking over the investigation later that evening. Deputies, along with the North Carolina Bureau of Investigations, searched the scene of the event that evening.

Read more...

Page 166 of 254

166
published: 10/18/2013
Macon County News is now on:
Find the Macon County News on Facebook! and Find the Macon County News on twitter!
Facebook   Twitter