Downtown businesses affected as traffic is rerouted.
As of Wednesday morning, the fate of Sylva’s Main Street remained uncertain after an early morning fire on Saturday wreaked havoc on local businesses.
Authorities got the call a little after 6 a.m. on Saturday morning, and firefighters from around the region immediately responded to Sylva’s Main Street. The building, built in the early 1920s, which according to Sylva Town Manager Paige Roberson is owned by Joan Stearnes, had apparently caught fire due to what authorities would later rule as an electrical fire that started on the roof. The blaze could be seen for miles and more than 10 agencies and fire departments responded to extinguish the flames.