Publisher's note: A very wise man wrote these words in November 2004. They are still important to remember today.
Buckle up, America!
According to reports by our deadline Wednesday, it appears that our incumbent president, George W. Bush, may have been re-elected.
If so, we've given a vote of confidence to a President that ...
• Misled America into a war that we didn't need to fight.
• Has not changed abortion laws in the first four years of his presidency.
• Has created the largest deficit in U.S. history.
• Has launched a pre-emptive attack on a third world nation, costing the lives of more than 1,000 U.S. soldiers and killing an Iraq coalition estimate of 100,000 mostly innocent Iraqi citizens.
• Has done very little to lower health care or provide affordable insurance to our citizens.
• Has taken no action as the economy dragged and jobs were outsourced to foreign nations, with the large companies receiving tax breaks.
• Has conducted a secretive administration that has been less than honest with the American people, yet has been intrusive in the personal lives of its citizens.
• Has done very little to protect the environment.
• And most of all, has left the American people divided more than ever after promising to be a uniter four years ago.
If the president had done just half of what he said he would do in the first four years, we probably wouldn't be so pessimistic.
But if, as the Bush supporters chanted at their convention, "Four more years" is what we'll get, then we expect a bumpy ride for the next four years.
So buckle up America and hang on.
— Gary L.Gooder