We are Republicans because we believe in the principles of the Republican Party, which are:
1. Belief that the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each person's dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored;
2. Belief in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability;
3. Belief that free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation opportunity, economic growth, and prosperity;
4. Belief that government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn;
5. Belief that the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations, and that the best government is that which governs least;
6. Belief that the most effective, responsible and responsive government is government closest to the people;
7. Belief that Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of changing times;
8. Belief that Americans value and should preserve our national strength and pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout the world;
9. Belief that the Republican Party is the best vehicle for translating these ideals into positive and successful principles of government.
Norman and Joyce Roberts — Franklin, N.C.